Honey

Honey

Sailing around New Zealand

Emily is sailing solo around New Zealand on her 32 foot yacht Honey, from Lyttelton south down the east coast, around the bottom of Stewart Island, up the west coast of the South and North Islands and down the east coast back to Lyttelton. The whole adventure is expected to take 3 months. This blog will provide updates as I travel (when I have mobile reception to upload).


Saturday 9 February 2013

Tim's here! Deep Cove (8-9 February)

I was up early and across to the start of the track (Dagg Sound end) by 7.20am and motoring out from Crooked Arm before 8.30am, as Tim had text me the day before to say he was arriving today, Friday, at about 2pm! I figured I would arrive by about 12.30pm, time to moor up, shower and do some laundry. It was a nice motor, with a small amount of sailing into Deep Cove at the end of the sound. Deep Cove is a very small community – a hostel, wharves and a couple of houses, and busloads of tourists that come through every day to be whipped out on the commercial daytripping boats. I tied up next to Pacific Flyer, the yacht I had seen motoring out of Crooked Arm the day before, with Gavin and Rowena on board, and Gavin and I went ashore to the hostel manager's house where we had been invited for a cup of tea. No sooner had I arrived when Tim's head popped up at the door – he had taken the earlier ferry – it was fantastic to see him!! We spent the rest of the day doing the laundry, getting cleaned up and catching up on the last 3 weeks before being invited to dinner at Billy's with Gavin and Ro and a German girl Susannah who was staying at the hostel. Another lovely dinner of muscle soup and venison stew – yum, I'm sure eating well on this trip. And then Tim and I headed back to Honey for the night.

It has been a wet day so far and we have done not too much apart from fueling up and having a cup of tea on Gavin and Ro's yacht. Our plan is to head to Dusky Sound if we get a chance before the SW winds pick up late tomorrow and then work our way back up to Doubtful Sound for next weekend, that's if I let Tim leave! We're yet to decide, but we may head out to Blanket Bay this afternoon – the spot tracker should let you know where we get to as I will not have internet access until back here or otherwise Milford Sound where I should be in a couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ems - your Blog is wonderful - we have all just read it - what a wonderful adventure you are having - and the hosspitality and meals from other boaties sound amazing It will be a treat having Tim for a few days & we are delighted he has joined you. We have had a glorious few days in the Sounds - it really has been the best summer any of us can remember in years. Chris has had the best of it because he has been here for over 6 weeks!! We head back to ChCh on Monday - it has been lovely for me to have a few days just to let the events of the last couple of week sink in. I will miss my sister but she was so sick I wouldn't have wanted her to suffer any longer - however it is a sad that things couldn't have been different to what they were. Lots of love to you & to Tim. I am looking forward to Peter & I getting down there on a boat one day too. x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there mermaid, its great to read your tales. You and Honey sound like you're having great adventures and seeing places so few of us ever see. While you've been exploring the bottom left corner of the South Island I've been growing an addiction for paddle boarding. Capt. Paranoia has been in charge of her own vessel! I even hired a board and took it over to Akaroa last weekend. The love affair was nearly over when I saw a stingray in the water however. Happy sailing, keep safe. XxCapt. P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em, so pleased all is well. The spot tracker is great to look at. Take care and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete