Honey

Honey

Sailing around New Zealand

Emily is sailing solo around New Zealand on her 32 foot yacht Honey, from Lyttelton south down the east coast, around the bottom of Stewart Island, up the west coast of the South and North Islands and down the east coast back to Lyttelton. The whole adventure is expected to take 3 months. This blog will provide updates as I travel (when I have mobile reception to upload).


Thursday 3 January 2013

The first shakedown leg


It was so good to finally set sail this morning. A big thank you to my farewell party!!


It was a lovely sail around to Akaroa, I had a large pod of dolphins – up to about 20 or 25 at one time – following me most of the way, so I didn't feel like I was on my own. All was fine until I got outside Akaroa Heads... the wind picked up suddenly to about 30 knots... I was up the bow and the poor little autohelm couldn't manage and jibed, and the headsail got wrapped around the furler. It took a few minutes to untangle, throw in a reef and get back on track, so if there were a few of the spot trackers around the same spot outside Akaroa Heads that will be why. Now I'm tucked up in Akaroa, and about to curl up for the night. Just watched a big fireworks display. My plan is to leave from here for Port Chalmers at about 0800 tomorrow morning.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily...... Have been following your movements / progress .....
    Tim said you were going non stop to Port Chalmers. A Big Haul go well Girl!! The fab five are thinking of you........!!
    xxFi

    P.s Loving the dolphin photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOLPHINS! Looks like you're having an awesome time with Honey! Loving the blogs!
    x Eliza

    ReplyDelete