Honey

Honey

Sailing around New Zealand

Emily is sailing solo around New Zealand on her 32 foot yacht Honey, from Lyttelton south down the east coast, around the bottom of Stewart Island, up the west coast of the South and North Islands and down the east coast back to Lyttelton. The whole adventure is expected to take 3 months. This blog will provide updates as I travel (when I have mobile reception to upload).


Monday 21 January 2013

Dunedin to Stewart Island

I'm writing from Oban, Stewart Island, and will update my blog in more detail when I have a better connection and can download photos... it was an early start on Saturday 12th when I left Dunedin to Stewart Island. On checking the weather, there appeared to be a small weather window, so kicking Tim off Honey before 6am in the morning, I headed out of Otago Harbour and had a lovely trip down the coast and past the Nuggets. I was settling in for the night when the wind got up, and before long I was racing across Foveaux Strait. All good until I heard the forecast at 0133 - it had changed to gale warning westerlies, so i was in a race against time to get to Stewart island before I was blown out to sea - made for a pretty stressful night! Fortunately arrived into Paterson Inlet with an hour to spare, had no sooner settled down for some rest when the gales arrived and I dragged anchor. Very tired and scared, but fortunately managed to pick up a mooring, wrestle my anchor up and find a safer mooring to tie to - this took several hours and it was evening when I finally settled down.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting stuff, glad it had a happy ending!

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew !!!! Emily - feelng tired and scared just reading about your adventure.

    Sounds really exciting though. We'll have to have Tim when we see him next, in that he couldn't hack it and took the easy option by flying. See now he's turned 40 the pipe and slippers are coming out. :-)

    Good on you :-)

    ReplyDelete